My life is to make everything around me beautiful.

Thursday, December 31, 2009

Bow Making Tutorial

When I was young I had a job with a department store working in their display department. It was a stepping stone to bigger and better things but the experience was invaluable in many ways. I learned the advertising business well and I picked up how to make bows. Now, can you beat that? ;-) It has served me well. So when froufrou-ing up the tree this year I thought about it and decided to give you a tutorial on making bows the absolutely easiest way. I bought this large roll of sparkly silver ribbon just to show you. While this is 4" wide, it can be done with smaller width ribbon.

Make several loops of ribbon. I did about 8 here to show you. The more loops you make the "fluffier" the bow.

While I did 12" long loops they can certainly be smaller.

Now, you will cut a "V" in the middle on each side being very careful to not cut through; otherwise, you have loops of useless ribbon. (Hmmmm, but I'd figure out something to do with it, for sure, chicks!)

Now, with a piece of string or yarn, tie it tight.

Then start separating the loops. One to the right, one to the left and so on until you've brought all of the loops towards you and twisted a bit to make them stay in place.

I do from right to left and front to back with each loop. You'll adjust better later. Now you are just separating the loops.

Now, just fluff and adjust and you'll have the best looking bow in your neighborhood.

The final bow. I used these on the tree. Using this kind of ribbon isn't the best but it'll do for decorating or any kind. I'd normally use an organza ribbon for this, but you can use any kind you want.
~*~


14 comments:

  1. Ah-ha! The "V" in the middle is what I've been missing! Thanks, Connie! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Connie...my mom used to make them this way too...I'd forgotten how she did them!

    Thanks for sharing!

    Happy New Year!
    Hugz,
    Michele

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello wonderful Connie!! I am trying to catch up on all of my favorite blogs that I've been neglecting these last couple of weeks and, of course, I had to visit and catch up with you!! Of course you left me with a big smile on my face and moved me creatively. You are truly the best and I wish we lived closer together because I would have coffee with you everyday. : ) Thank you for your comment on my blog. I am going to say something to my doctor about the sonogram experience but I don't want to make any waves. I think it was just the tech's personality. It was unfortunate but it's over now.

    I wish you and your family a very happy and healthy and blessed new year. It's been such a pleasure getting to know you thru your blog and your comments left on mine this last year. XOXOXO

    ~ Wendy
    http://Crickleberrycottage.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL!! I was in a store a few months back with my BFF and the store lady was making bows just like that!! I watched her very closely and made many since then. My BFF isn't that crafty and she was amazed at my bows, lol. She asked me "did the lady teach you"?? I said "nope I just watched" (the best way for me to learn is watch and try at home lol) ♥

    Hugs and a happy new year to you and yours, Connie ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cool, thanks my friend. I think that I actually bought the same ribbon. Does yours have wire?

    Enjoy your new toy!
    Leann

    ReplyDelete
  6. yep, the V in the middle... I didn't know that. I can make bows, but only with wire trimmed ribbon.... thanks for the V tip!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for posting this. I've wanted to do this so many times but had no idea how.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're a genius! Thanks for sharing the info!
    rosie

    ReplyDelete
  9. I make those same kind of bows only I twist them as they are pulled apart.

    I'm going to have to try it your way now. Less work and I'm all for that!

    Happy New Years.
    Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Connie, I loved your tutorial on bow making. It is easy isn't it? I also did gift wrapping in J.C. Penney's many years ago and learned to make bows just this way. It has served me well over the years.

    I found a saying I would love to wish you and yours for the New Year.
    Each moment in a day has its own value.
    Morning brings HOPE,
    Afternoon brings FAITH,
    Evening brings LOVE,
    Night brings REST,
    Hope you will have all of them everyday.
    HAPPY NEW YEAR 2010.

    Love, Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooooooo, lurvely! Thanks Connie...I always wanted to make beautiful fluffy bows and now I can! (mine always used to look like limp dish rags)...I will definitely try your trick!

    Happy New Year Sweetness!
    LuLu~*xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bless your heart! I am a terrible bow maker and you have now saved me! The V, the V - that is the answer. Thank you, my friend.

    Happy, Happy New Year to you and your hubby!

    xoxo
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  13. My mother taught me how to make bows this way and it works great! I love your BIG bow! I'm trying to learn how to make teeny tiny ones now for my dollhouse! :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are so nice and I thank all of you that leave one for me.