My life is to make everything around me beautiful.

Saturday, August 28, 2010

Curtains I Love for Pink Saturday 8/28/2010

Happy Pink Saturday! Please visit Beverly and the other participants by clicking on the logo below:



This past saturday I visited with Ineke at Ineke Original so pay her a visit. Delightful blogger.
*

There is a celebration of life going on over at Kelee's blog for Colette who has survived cancer. It's a wonderful story of faith and life. But I also have a personal story to tell you.
*

Hubs and I were married and started our family immediately. We had a daughter within 11 months and our son came along 11 1/2 months after her. When I started in labor with him I went in to the doctor at the military hospital in Oceanside, Calif. twice and got sent home. The 3rd time they knew I was in trouble. There were about 9 doctors in that examining room poking everywhere they could. Finally, they could see I was in trouble. They looked at my fingernails and knew I was dehydrated and then found out I had uremic poisoning and my kidneys were hurting pretty badly. (Later we found out I have medullary sponge kidney, which means I have stones TNTC (too numerous to count) and have passed 14 so far in my life.)

Anyway, they admitted me and I was pretty much out of it but Keith has born within a day and they whisked him out of there before I could hold him. I was alone and in very bad shape for about a week. Then on the 8th day I saw this bright light in my room. So bright I couldn't figure out how I could look at it because it was brighter than the sun. It was a sort of tunnel of light beckoning to me but I knew I was "not going", that I needed to be here. I later learned the doctors all told hubby to come and say goodbye to me for the last time because I was so sick I wasn't going to make it. Hubby told me he just sat in our home and cried and cried with our 11 month old daughter. But that day I knew I was going to get better. I tried calling the nurse because I wanted a drink. I was thirsty beyond belief because I was just getting IVs for all the time. Finally at the 9th day they let me walk down to see my son. He was in an incubator with no diaper because of all the antibiotics he and I were given, his diaper area was a mass of sores. When we took him home on the 11th day we couldn't put a diaper on him. Just let him lay on top of the cloth diaper.

Now, I wasn't religious at all at that time but something like that spiritual experience got me to believe in my heart that I'd live a long time. I really was looking beyond the veil that day into the next life. I absolutely know that now without any equivocation. Our son was just fine after that except for an episode of convulsions at about 2 than ended after a couple of months. He's perfectly normal now and a good son.

When he was attacked in April of 2009 we were devastated but we KNEW he would survive the beatings and trauma. I just never wondered about it because I believe God gave me the peace to know he would be fine. Prayer does work and also the father's blessings my husband—his father—gave him. He's pretty much healed from the beating they inflicted on him for trying to rescue that girl from them at the gas station. I trust God to take care of my kids and grandkids and me and hubs. Yep, prayer does work. We're a religious Christian family who attend church every sunday and try to live a holy life.
~*~

I have a short story to tell about this fabric, so bear with me.

For one thing, they are sheets—Fieldcrest called Cassandra. I spotted them over 20 years ago in our local Macy's store in California. I loved the fabric and bought several sheets that day simply because of the fabric. (This is probably my all-time favorite fabric. When something grabs at your heart like this, you never want to see it disappear.) I wanted more, but when I went back another day there were no more sheets. BUT standing in line was a woman with some of those sheets in her arms, and I found out she was returning them! Oh be still my heart. I told her I wanted them. So the saleswoman took them, gave her credit and turned right around and sold them to me. I thought I was in heaven for sure that day. One moment sadness and the next moment extreme joy! But I later thought about having even more of them for a stash of fabric in the most beautiful print I'd ever seen. So I called around to other Macy's in our local area but no one had any.

Then one day as Love Bunny and I were traveling over past Sacramento to someplace forgotten in my memory at this point in time, I decided to stop at Gottschalks north of Sacramento in Auburn. Just happened that they had more Cassandra sheets. I bought a couple of sheets there as I thought I'd probably have my "lifetime supply" at that point.

I made some pillows and curtains for our home in California. But when we got to Idaho I wanted some more curtains in our first Idaho home. We had 7 huge windows in our living room. They were about 6' high. That living room was about 20' x 26'. I loved it being so large. So I made 4 pairs to frame the banks of windows on each wall. One wall had 3 windows and the front wall had 4 windows with just a few inches in between the windows so I couldn't—and actually, didn't want to—frame each individual window. And because I had bought all those extra sheets I could do it.




So now how did these sheets look in the first Idaho house? Let me show you. But first be forewarned: these are NOT digital photos and I was absolutely the worst photographer there ever was with a regular old camera. This is not stated to get a 'oh, no, you weren't.' I take full responsibility for these pathetic photos, but they are all I have of this house. Betcha didn't know digital cameras didn't always exist, huh? And these are scans of bad photos to begin with so you see how horrid they are.

It was a wonderfully large room to decorate and as I look back I see how pathetic I was 20 years ago. I even covered a chair with the sheet I loved so much. The chair on the right by the window and the same one in the foreground is a Baker chair that has seen 3 different fabrics on its self. It is such an expensive and well made chair I've been able to do that. It pays to buy good furniture. Trust me on this.

I did these pillows in California and brought them with us to Idaho and just loved flopping them on this old sofa. That sofa today would be 38 years old. When we bought it, it was avocado striped green velvet. (See how we all make mistakes when we're young?!) It was then recovered in burgundy as seen here and everyone just loved it. I actually gave it away to a young couple and since I take excellent care of my stuff, it looked brand new when they got it. They were thrilled.

So why talk about them? Well, hubs was up in the attic again yesterday and found this box of 4 curtains left. I'm going to sell 2 of them, but I'm keeping one set of 2 for who-knows-where in the house. I just cannot see myself parting with this fabric. They are still as crisp as the day I bought them. I've never washed them, just threw them in the dryer to be dusted off when needed. They look and feel like new. I'm a bit sad selling even one pair but I know I'll never use 2 pairs in this house since it is our last house to occupy. You'll see them on eBay probably very soon. ;-)
~*~

20 comments:

  1. Hi Connie Sweetie...
    What a beautiful Miracle story to share with us today. I remember last year when your son went through that horrible beating and I too sent up prayers at that time, but I did not know the story of how he came to be. What a beautiful story.

    You know isn't it wonderful when we are able to pray about something and turn it over to God and let go of it? That is all we need to do to find peace in our soul and our lives.

    Love the curtains too. You always have made the most beautiful things ever. I just love it when you share. Now I do have to admit it isn't your normal pink though. You've come a long way baby.

    Thanks for sharing sweetie. Please stop by and leave a comment, as each of them left on my blog will be a $1.00 contribution from Guideposts magazine. I have shared Colette's journey with cancer. The photos are wonderful and she was so gracious to share with me. I love her, and she is such a sweet friend.

    Hope you have a beautiful weekend sweetie. Many hugs and much love, Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What a story! And what a gift God has given us by keeping you here with us for this time! You sure did go through a lot early in your marriage - what a dear husband too! God has been so wonderful to me over the years - I am so glad that through blogging - I have come to meet some special ladies - who-based on our faith -we will all meet one day - So glad! Love your story about the curtains - you're right - when something grabs your heart....
    Hope you have a delightsome day,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Pink Saturday, dear Connie. Thank you for making Pink Saturday special, and for taking part in this day of celebration and thanks.

    There truly are miracles going on all around us. You and your family are living examples of God's greatness.

    I can see why you love that fabric pattern. It is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Connie - I love the story about the sheets. But most of all, I am so inspired by the story of your son's birth and your illness. How amazing it must have been to see that light - the very thing we read about so much in stories about near-death experiences. It must have changed your life.

    Thank you for sharing it with us.

    xo
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  5. How would people be able to survive in this world without a hope of a Savior. You survived that horrific time in your life when all the doctors had given up but you were touched when the light of Jesus healed you. This is another example of the "ever present healing in todays world". The retelling of your Son's story is a phenomenol one too. God is so good!!!!
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Connie! After you made me cry with the stories of your sons birth and later the awful beating I smiled! I was tickled pink actually! I was trying to imagine that sofa being avocado green! You have posted a true miracle today and I am so glad I came over. I hope you will visit me soon. You were on a mission to get those sheets weren't you? I am very honored to know you and hope you will come by soon. Thanks for the memories. Anne

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a story! I'm glad you enjoy going on our little adventures with me. We still wake up everyday and say "another beautiful sunny day" Looking back, we knew we were going to have another winter of depression with no sun. So glad we made the move!! Not sure where we are off to today. Monday we are going to meet up with a friend and go to Beverly Hills...not to buy anything!! I'll be taking lots of photos. Thank goodness for digital!! Have a wonderful Sat. Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Connie, I have this huge lump in my throat because of your post. I remember one of the first times I came to visit and it was about the time Keith was injured and someone sent me to your blog to pray for Keith and all of you. What a wonderful story about his birth. I truly believe in miracles also because I was fortunate to be granted 2 of them. Praise God and I also am glad I found you. Women of Faith can be addictive and that as Martha Stewart would say, Is a Good Thing. Love and hugs, Pat

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Connie,

    What a wonderful miracle story you have shared with us! Amazing too, that you saw "The Light".
    I have heard stories of this all the time. Yes, the power of prayer is wonderful. Love your living room, and the nice big windows!

    Happy Pink Saturday,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Connie, your story about the birth of Keith has touched my heart. You were just not meant to go to that light on that day. God had other plans for you. Andrea always tells about being on the operating table and she was beckoned by a light above the table and she watched as the events progressed. The light only took her that far. Then like the shock they used on her heart, she was suddenly brought back to the table and she doesn't remember anymore than that. A miracle happened. Like you, she wasn't meant to leave us yet. Keith is protected by God. I really believe in prayer as well. Thank you for sharing your story Connie.

    Now, for that fabric. I love your story about finding the sheets in such strange ways. It was meant to be. That large living room was awesome. I'm glad you will use the beautiful curtains again.BIG SMILE.
    Love, Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  11. love your stories! love the fabrics!!!!! It is amazing how God has changed all of us. He works amazingly in our lives!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Connie, happy PS! Wow, that must have been a scary 9 days! But, God had a different plan for you! :)
    Those sheets made great curtains!
    Have a wonderful weekend, Nan

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear Connie, thank you for sharing such a personal moment in your life with us. I get chills when I read of a miracle like this. What a blessing to your family that you survived and that your son survived and thrived. I'm so sorry to hear that your son ever had to endure a beating like that. It's just awful to think that another human being is capable of doing something like that.

    Obviously God had a wonderful pain for you and your family. And I for one am so glad I found you and that you've been such a sweet blessing to me.

    Hugs...Tracy :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. You and your son are truly walking miracles.

    The curtains are lovely. I don't know if I could let any of them leave my house if I were you. Hope you're having a happy Pink Saturday.

    Sherry @ A Happy Valentine

    ReplyDelete
  15. Connie, you have me laughing with the sheet story. That is so funny. Looks good girlfriend.
    Your miracle story is a gift from above. What a scare you must have had, your whole family worried, but like you said, God in his wisdom healed you and took care of your children. Blessings abound if we just listen. Happy Pink Saturday and Happy Miracle Party, Char

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello Connie, Happy Pink Saturday. What a beautiful story. Thank you for sharing. Your post today is so sweet. Love your fabric, I have some very similar to it.
    It was my sisters, she used it in her shop at one time. I now use it out on the front porch.
    I still love it.
    Love your banners on your previous post. Thank you so much for your kind words for
    Bob.
    Love ya, Shirl
    Shirls Rose Cottage

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Connie,
    Your story is amazing and God surely had a plan for you and your dear son.
    Enjoyed seeing your past home and the wonderful window fabric.
    Have a great rest of the weekend.
    Hugs, Celestina Marie

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh Connie, dear...you have been thru some awful stuff in your lifetime! What can I say? I did not know about your son's terrible experience. I'm so glad you and your family have the Lord to heal your hurts (and bodies) and give you hope. Bless you sister,
    Hugz, Mary

    ReplyDelete
  19. What sweet and bittersweet and awesome family memories! I'm so glad for your son's healing. And what lovely curtain material. And yes, I do remember the days before my easy to use digital camera! But I'm awfully glad we have them now, aren't you. Perfect for capturing all those cute grandkid photos - like that little cutie in your right column. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh boy, oh boy....could I EVER LIVE on that porch you like so well. Wow what a gorgeous view. And the wicker? You've piqued my dreams here. Love it. Let's sit down, together, chat and drink some tea and enjoy our surroundings on such a beautiful day. Even if it's raining softly...the place would hold so many wonderful days.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are so nice and I thank all of you that leave one for me.