My life is to make everything around me beautiful.

Friday, July 23, 2010

Sofa Slipcover

I'm thinking of having a slipcover made for the sofa and wanted to get a good picture for the interior decorator who is helping me. Sounds la-de-da, huh? Nuuuuu, not at all.

I could not seem to find anyone around here who makes them. A blogger said she could make them for me but she lives in the east and I'm in the west about 2,000 miles away. She assured me it could be done by sending measurements, photos and such. I checked with IKEA when we were over there in June but their slipcovers ONLY fit their sofa styles. I thought about it and was going to let the blogger do it, but then I went on the Ethan Allen website. TaDa!!! They now have a sofa that is just like my sofa that I bought from them 15 years ago.

I called their store in Boise, chatted with the interior decorator explaining that I saw on the website where they can do slipcovers. She checked and said they could but only for specific styles. (Actually, they can do a slipcover for ANY sofa but it would cost about $1200 custom made—just for the slipcover!) The style is exactly the same as my sofa. I measured and sent them to her via email and she checked and said yes, it could be done for my style. I was ecstatic especially when I heard the price that I saw was definitely worth it. Can we say $400.00?! I tell you that's a steal for perfect fit slipcovers.

Eye candy: roses on my coffee table. Onward...

From the side of the victorian vase. I love them thick and plentiful in that vase.

Here are the photos along with my measurements I sent her. How serendipitous is this??? Fifteen years old, and I don't have to spend $2,000 buying a new one when this is in perfect like-new condition. Just slipcover it in white thick upholstery! This photo is indicative of the true color of the sofa. The room is so dark it shows much darker when I try to photograph it from across the room. I shall be getting a solar tube next! I need more light in the front of this house.



Anyway, here are some style of Ethan Allen sofas I love and though it looks exactly like mine it isn't quite because of the size—just an inch or two off. These photos are smaller because I pulled them off the website.

Same with this one. It's the exact same style but an inch or two off.

This is a favorite style of mine but it starts at $1900.00 and that's just not gonna cut it at the moment. Love Bunny would protest vociferously, trust me.

I also like this style. It comes in 3 cushion style also, but it starts at $1800 and...well, you get the point.

I'm so happy tonight I could just spit! Now, I have to tell Love Bunny. Wish me luck. *Sigh*...
~*~

16 comments:

  1. That sounds a really good deal Connie...look forward to photos later!

    ReplyDelete
  2. well done Connie, pays to do the homework! Rachaelxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the sofa slipcover look but I've never seen a slipcover that would fit our sofa...but then ours is over 20 years old. LOL!

    Do you know an easy way to fit my header photo so that it is centered? I'm not the only blogger with this problem. I'm using one of the new blogger template designs and it won't center my photo either. I'm not sure why blogger can't give placement options (i.e., left, center, right...). It's a puzzle to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Connie, I like the sofa as is, but then I'm into beiges and browns in my living room. That is a steal for $400. I don't know anyone around here who would make slip covers for that price. I have a very old comfortble chair that I want recovered and there is a man in Jennings here who is fairly cheap and good, so I have to find my fabric, because if I bring my won fabric, it only costs about $125 for the chair and cushion. Can't wait to see your new slipcovers and I know they will look beautiful like the rest of your house. Have a wonderful weekend and looking forward to your Pink Saturday. I have to post a ribbon rose I attempted. I would like your opinion. Luv ya chickie, Pat

    ReplyDelete
  5. Connie ~
    That is awesome and such a wonderful price !! I love my slip covered sofa so much ~

    xoxo
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yes, definitely like the $400 price MUCH BETTER than the $2 grand!! How fortunate you were able to find what you were looking for, at a much better price! I soooo want to get a slipcover for my couch. I like the simple shape of it, but not too crazy about the large floral print (even though it is of roses). I want to find a nice soft thick white slipcover that won't show the material on the sofa. I know there are some that are rather thin and don't cover up as well. AND, don't want to spend a fortune either. I know someday I will, but I'm just an impatient gal, lol :)

    Be sure to show us photos once you get the slipcover. Hope you have a fabulous weekend sweet friend!!

    Warmest hugs to you, Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your detective work has paid off! Good for you - that is a great deal! Can't wait to see photos of the finished product.

    xo
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Connie,
    that sounds like a great idea. Who knew they could make a slipcover for that...most times the fabric would be close to that.
    happy days for you...
    it will be gorgeous.
    glenda

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay! for you!! I can imagine how happy you were to find the slipcover! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Slip covers are pricey, but well worth the expense. Good luck!!

    Love,
    Susan and Bentley
    xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Chick whatever you do..don't spit when you are telling hubby..my little sister is doing hers too..in americana..and it has changed the whole room...great what a new slip cover can do for the soul.;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. yay for you Connie on getting it done for a great price. My whole family room is slip covered. Everything needs washing but I hate to take them off because they are maddening to put back on. I want to change mine to white denim. I see in the decorating magazines all the time about how you can change your sofas and chairs with slipcovers and it's so inexpensive. I don't know what they are talking about!!! By the time you buy your fabric and pay for labor it's a big chunk of change. When I had them made for our family room the whole process took about six months...between me finding the right fabric, ordering it and the girl making everything.

    ReplyDelete
  13. we have three sun tunnels: One in the bathroom and two in the hallway.
    Wow, do they make a difference!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a deal, I'll be back to take a peek at your great deal!! Woo hoo for you!

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great job...you are a woman who knows what she wants!

    We will see the results, yes? :0)

    Have a great weekend, Connie!

    Jillian
    Bella Rosa Antiques

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Connie,
    Wonderful price on the slipcover. It will be gorgeous.
    Looks like you had a great garage sale too. They are alot of work and you had so much stuff.

    Looking forward to your sofa redo.
    Blessings and Hugs, Celestina Marie

    ReplyDelete

Comments are so nice and I thank all of you that leave one for me.