My life is to make everything around me beautiful.

Thursday, June 10, 2010

Big Hat, No Cattle or Cow Tipping

If you don't know by now from all my ramblings then I'm here to tell you: Love Bunny is a model RR train hobbyist. I'm talkin' real enthusiast here. He's turned our 3rd car garage into his train room. I, of course, have zero interest in this hobby. ;-)

However, a few months ago he received these little cows in the mail after searching long and hard for them—and paying a premium for these teensy, tiny cows. Sigh...

Now, when I told him I was going to do a blog about them and asked him to hold them in his hand to show just how tiny they were, they wouldn't stand up. He said, "You keep tipping my cows over." I laughed outrageously of course. I'm a cow tipper? We ended up being ridiculously silly, which is a common occurrence in this house anyway. Well, okay, ME in particular. These are his only cows; he has a big hat but no cattle...other than these.

They come black and he had to paint them brown and white. He looked all over the valley for just the right color of "brown cow." Hah, not easy to come by but eventually he found it. Then he added some white spots for realism.

Then came the pigs. He got those today. (I've had the better part of this post scheduled for 2 or more months now.) To show you how small everything is, I had his hold his hand in front of his tractors and then in front of the pigs. Very teensy.

Now, I don't know much of anything about pigs except that if you hate your neighbor, buy pigs and they'll move posthaste. But here are a bunch of them and one even wallowing in the mud and a mummy pig with her piglets.
*

The stake president of our church stake told a story—he originally grew up on a ranch in Wyoming so is kind of a cowboy sometimes when he goes back for a yearly roundup, but is a dentist by profession—that got me laughing so hard once that I couldn't stop. He's a really funny guy.

He, his wife and 4 kids went up for the roundup one year and his youngest daughter was on a horse helping with the cows. Her horse started running with her and they finally got it to stop. But he said she was really fine and nothing much happened that 2 years of psychotherapy couldn't remedy. I laughed and laughed. He's always telling those kind of stories.

Then he talked about once they were herding the cows up to higher ground and the mother cows went on ahead of their babies (I'm not a cowgirl and don't know the technical term for baby cows) and the baby cows kept going over the edge of the mountain trail and getting killed. They finally went up to where the mommy cows were and brought the mother cows back and the baby cows followed the mommy cows and got there safely. Oooooh, that it could be so easy with human kids!

He was going to tell me another story while I was with hubs getting a cavity filled in his dental office but big mouth—me—cut him off and never did get the story, but I shall, trust me. I'll let you know what that one was.
~*~

18 comments:

  1. I have to confess Connie, I have a fascination with Train Sets, I think it all begain from watching the Adams Family.

    Had a chuckle about your stories, I usually do when I come over here!

    Keep "em coming

    Gail xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cows in the field next to our house are just a little bit bigger than those, but just as cute.
    Great tales from the dentist!
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH CONNIE,
    YOU ARE SOOOO VERY FUNNY YOU COW TIPPER.
    I THINK IT IS WONDERFUL AND GOD'S GRACE TO SEE A MARRIED COUPLE LAUGHING AND HAVING FUN RATHER THAN FIGHTING...MY HUSBAND AND I LAUGH OVER THE SILLIEST OF THINGS.
    THE COWS AND PIGS AND TRACTORS AND ALL THE LITTLE DETAILS....YOU SHOULD HAVE YOUR HUSBAND BUILD YOU A LITTLE PINK COTTAGE THAT SAYS CONNIE'S PLACE OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT WITH FLOWERS AND TREES FOR THE TRAIN TO DRIVE BY...I DON'T THINK HE WILL APPRECIATE ME ARRANGING HIS TRAIN PLANS...LOL
    ANGEL HUGS
    SIMPLY DEBBIE

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute - great job - My husband and I are learning alot about cows. His daughter is in vet school for large animals. You should see the cow pictures she sent back from Belgium and Holland - these cows look like body builders - double muscled cows they are called - I bet they don't have cow tipping over there!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Connie...
    Miniature takes on a whole new meaning here!!!!
    Love your new Grand...she is BEAUTIFUL...and all your porches you shared!
    LOVED catching up with you!
    xoxo~Kathy @
    Sweet Up-Noth Mornings...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good Morning My Friend

    Those cows are just too cute. And if you wouldn't have told me that your DH painted them, I wouldn't have guessed it.

    So glad that he has a hobby that he enjoys.
    Leann

    ReplyDelete
  7. Connie, would love to see the entire train room. My boys used to have an HO set with all the little people,cars, and tunnels.We used chicken wire to build them with plaster of paris for the foundation, then glued grass,dirt,and sand from the hobby shop. I too have a fascination with anything minature. Cute cows, pigs, and I love the tractors
    My hubby keeps me laughing over silly things too until he gets mad over something, I probably did or said-lol.Love and hugs, Pat

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like your stories!
    I had to laugh when you mention that your man had to find the perfect shade of brown cow--kinda like us and our lipsticks, eh?
    I think a baby cow is called VEAL.
    Sorry, couldn't resist.
    Hugs, dahling!
    (Tell your hubby that his little teeny animals made for a delightful post)!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another wonderful chuckle from our precious Connie!

    Those are wee cows & pigs & farming equipment ... my brother had small items for his train set when young, but not that wee.

    Have a beautiful day ... give Miss A a smooch or two ...
    TTFN ~ Hugs, Marydon

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the laugh! I can't believe you had to paint the cows but your hubs did a great job. I think your right, if my neighbor bought pigs.... I would be out of here so fast your head would spin. Have a great weekend.
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow those parts are tiny..:) but so cute..love the stories you share I always do...:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Too, funny....these men of ours and their loves....for mine it is history....we have so many books and mostly on the old West, 'cause my hubby is an ole cowboy....then there is the closet full of guitars...he plays and sings beautifully and has written some great music and then there is everything else....he can't throw anything away, so I guess that will qualify as a hobby, right? The name of that hobby is drive Jil nuts!!! lol!

    Tell your hubby he did a great job with painting those little cows and their baby calves and the piggies, too.....not easy to paint things so small!

    Having a dentist like yours would make going a whole lot easier!
    Jil
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Funny post title, sis! Gee, those are mini-mini. Are they expensive since they are so hard to find? LB did a great job of painting them.

    Baby CALVES, sweetie!

    Big TX Hugs,
    Stephanie
    Angelic Accents

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the fact your hubby has this hobby...I would think it was really neat...unless of course he spent all of his time on it and none with me. LOL

    I think a baby cow is a calf. :0) Dear Hubs came from a dairy farm in PA. Their last cow had twins. I was reall surprised by that being the Jersey girl that I am!

    PS. I Like Debbie's idea of the pink cottage that says Connie's place on it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Connie, I love trains so I love love love this post. My Dad had the same ones. Wish I still had all his train sets. Not sure what ever happened to them. We have the little John Deer Tractors too, our Thomas Kincade/John Deer Village is HO scale so I've been collecting some of these scale items.
    You should post some pice of Hubbies train set. I'd love to see I'm fascinated with them.

    Porches on previous post are beautiful, also your Great Grand Daughter is adorable. Love all her little pink clothes.
    Love ya, Shirl
    Shirls ROse Cottage

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ok, love bunny is out of control!!! Seriously,these look like the packs of animals the kids buy at the dollar general, although judging by the size I think the Dollar stor version would stampede these cows... I think love bunnys hobby is way cool. i love miniatures...my husband is into old military memorilia. I love it that you did some good olde fashioned cow tipping, how in the world could you resist love bunny + cows + laughs= love
    hugs,
    Olivia
    ps I tried to call babe love bunny and he is soooooo not ready for that one, do you call him this in real life?

    ReplyDelete

Comments are so nice and I thank all of you that leave one for me.