My life is to make everything around me beautiful.

Friday, May 25, 2012

It Ain't Easy Hemming Pants!

Welcome to another Pink Saturday. Visit Beverly's blog and see all the other participants.
*
 

Recently I bought a pair of Tencel pants from an upscale online store. I love the feel of them, rather silky like. But as always I needed to hem them. I'm 5' 4 1/2" tall, which is considered average, but pants are always too long for me. I have a 26 1/2" length from the crotch seam to where I like the pant to fall. So I had to hem them and therein lies this story.


I rarely make or fix anything in sewing that I get right the first time. These pants were no exception. It took me 3 days to hem them—actually a couple of hours of actual doing it and the rest of the time to recuperate/think about doing it.


The actual measuring and remeasuring took at least one day. I didn't want to be hasty and regret it by cutting them too short. This has happened before and I had to add lace to the bottom, which was actually serendipitous because they turned out beautifully and people take notice of them and ask me where I got them. They say they like them. Good thing because they're way too short without the lace.


Then I cut—with extreme caution. That took a full day because I wanted to be sure. (Let me say here that I'd go read a book, come in here and blog or eat myself silly in between these times!) Then another day...well, let me cut to the chase there. I hemmed them and they were way too long, so I had to take the hem out, cut again and hem them again. This took the rest of the time I mentioned above—a full day—to get up the energy to finish the hem at 26 1/2". I hate hemming pants!
*

I love old architectural details. Oh, I don't buy many but I do love to feast my eyes on them. They simply bring peace to my heart and soul.


See, you don't have to use red and green and gold for Christmas decorating. I've used pinks, purples and reds for the past three years as this homeowner has done.


Quiet, serene, peaceful are all applicable to this lovely patio.


Wonderful place for a honeymoon or an anniversary celebration.


Another homeowner who follows her own rules instead of letting others dictate what she probably doesn't like as well is this stunning door.


Squeeeeeal!!! Can you imagine this in your home? While it isn't feasible it sure is cute and makes a great photo shoot.


Pretty similar to the white wreath on my front door.


This is my front door.


Just some gorgeous eye candy for you. Aren't these colors and items spectacular?


I have some rose plates just like these.


Stunning red doors that look very old but still gorgeous.


This has to be just for show because there is no way you could put tea, coffee or chocolate in it and pour. Gorgeous however!


Flowered sofas I thought you'd enjoy seeing.


Fresh pink flowers to brighten this charming mantle.


What a gorgeous cabin living room.


Cute display for coat racks. I have 2 of them I don't have hanging in the house because I didn't know what to do with them, but this gives me an idea.


Unique idea for storage if you have an open staircase like this one.


I also love classical furniture. Yep, I sure do.


I really do like this chair but somehow I can't see it in my house.


Another classic setting I love.


This just looks so inviting and peaceful I had to show you.
~*~
Photos courtesy of pinterest and tumblr.

18 comments:

  1. Hi, Connie...great images you have found here..now that commode with all the white frills...that's waaay over the top to suit me. But now, those stair book shelves were too cool for school. Love that idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dislike hemming pants too although i do like sewing, just not the hemming part. I love the rose cups and plates and the lace in the bathroom was beautiful too.

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  3. Connie, very nice presentation and tale of your sewing talents. I never could sew, but at one time enjoyed cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Always a treat to visit you ! I have to buy Petite pants and wear a bit of a heel ... usually any hemming I do is a disaster and I really do not like to hem !!!
    Happy Pink Saturday (())

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW! You found some amazing pictures to dream over! The bathroom all in white was pretty, but I would be afraid to use it, that is for sure!!!! :)

    Why are pants such a trial to hem? I am the same way and I can't tell you the times I have measured myself silly, only to have one pant leg higher than the other!
    HPS!
    ♥ Jil

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Connie...while your hemming pants I am trying to find some that down ankle freeze me lol
    HPS
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  7. A lovely post as always, and I had to smile reading about the hemming. I used to have to do my father's - he bought extra long as he liked turnups - so I had to let down the hems and then sort the turnups. And of course he insisted on them being sewn by hand, not machine. I was a nervous wreck by the end - at least 3 fittings - no doubt he saved a fortune by not going to a tailor. I'm sure I spent about the same amount on headache tablets, chocolate and hard liquor, lol.

    Happy Pink Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow I can't get that hot pink door out of my head. Very pretty. Happy Pink Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It was very nice to visit your blog! I know exactly how you feel about hemming pants...I have undone them myself because they weren't quite right and had to redo. I used to sew a lot but alas, now I find I like blogging, photography and playing my harp. Classical furniture is one of my fav styles as well. Smiles, Maria from Seattle

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always have to hem my pants, too. Ugh! And, I hate it, too. Lots of eye candy here, Connie. I adore those floral sofas.

    Happy Pink Saturday Fourth Birthday Celebration. I appreciate you and all you do to make Pink Saturday special. It is special because of the fellowship, friendship and kindness we all experience from all of the "pinkies".♥♥♥ It would never be the same without you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Connie,
    Happy Pink Saturday! Love all your pretty pinks. Have a wonderful weekend!

    Blessings,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  12. Where do I begin. That toilet. I live in a house of men but someday... :)

    I now need floral pillowcases with crochet edging.

    Love that clever staircase too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey there - good to visit with you again. Loved your post. BUT as I find so often is the case, when I get to the comment section, I can't remember all the things I wanted to say ... drives me nuts and then I have to scroll up and down . . . oh well. I loved the piece about hemming the pants. I was thinking about you and things you've said concerning being crafty - as I sliced into a t-shirt to make a new neck for it. It sat just like that on the sewing machine until I covered it with other things, then took it all off to rearrange the room and stuffed it into a box of other things for which I have good ideas. The t-shirt had paint on it - I was just going to see if I could fancy it up a bit. At least your pants got hemmed! Love the various photos, now which ones drew me in? Wait, I have to scroll. Quick before I forget - your door and wreath, oh, rats, I forgot already. The bookcase under the stairs. I remembered! The toilet - that's something to look at for sure. I can just hear my husband's comments . . . Uh, okay, it was nice to look at, as I said. I thoroughly enjoyed your comments here and there - that's what it was - anyway - enjoyed visiting with you again. Take care!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've always wanted to incorporate pink for Christmas decorating!

    I'm also loving those shelves beneath those stairs. I wish I had that kind of stairs so that I could do that!

    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great pink posts for the celebration. I love the powder room. My guess is she has no males living there!

    HPS

    LL

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dear Connie, there are so many things to love here. I adore that pink fabric with the roses and turquoise border and also that turquoise hanging lamp. The staircase with storage I absolutely love! That picture window dressed with sheers is stunning! I loved looking at that red door with the unique windows, the one in the garden. Once again, thanks a million for the eye candy!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow,lots of very pretty stuff! I too have to hem just about everything even some of the petite stuff...
    Pinkim from TrulySimplyPink...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love those door wreaths! You remind me of Debbie Dabble! HPS to you and enjoy your family today! I have a stiff and painful knee that is radiating pain into my hips! UGH! I am having quiet weekend. Love all the pink photos you share! So many pretty choices!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are so nice and I thank all of you that leave one for me.