My life is to make everything around me beautiful.

Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Special Blog!! God Bless the People of Louisiana!

I have to say how that makes me want to cry all over again, sweet chicks! I salute all of those Louisianans who made this possible!!! We all love ya!!!!! Sheeeesh, I'm bawling like a baby......... Let's let the world know what we are made of in this country!
~*~

Here SHE is, the USS New York, made from the World Trade Center !



USS New York


It was built with 24 tons of scrap steel from the World Trade Center .
It is the fifth in a new class of warship - designed for missions that include special operations against terrorists. It will carry a crew of 360 sailors and 700 combat-ready Marines to be delivered ashore by helicopters and assault craft.

Steel from the World Trade Center was melted down in a foundry in Amite, LA to cast the ship's bow section. When it was poured into the molds on Sept 9, 2003, 'those big rough steelworkers treated it with total reverence,' recalled Navy Capt. Kevin Wensing, who was there. 'It was a spiritual moment for everybody there.'

Junior Chavers, foundry operations manager, said that when the trade center steel first arrived, he touched it with his hand and the 'hair on my neck stood up.' 'It had a big meaning to it for all of us,' he said. 'They knocked us down. They can't keep us down. We're going to be back.'

The ship's motto? 'Never Forget'








16 comments:

  1. Oh Connie this is such a touching post. Thank you for the reminder, and what a beautiful ship she is!!!!

    I am screaming with joy about your trailer! I can't wait to see how you "pretty her up"! Aren't these hubbies teasers?! They know they will never win, when it comes to decorating! heehee! Please keep me posted sweetie pie!

    Hugs,
    Maryjane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a great thing to do with the remains of the trade center! I am impressed. Thanks for sharing.
    karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just amazing. Just so amazing it is difficult to believe. I have read this post three times. And, they did this in little Amite in the piney woods area? Amazing! Wow!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post girl! Hope you are having a great day....I have tagged you...please come by and see the details!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Connie...I had no idea....Thank You so much for posting this!!!!
    Made the back of my hair stand up too...so often we get caught up in life & forget that day & how it affected us!!! I am with them...
    Never Forget!!!!!!
    Cant wait to see the pics of your finished re-do girly!!!
    Hugs..
    Deb:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. so touching!!
    vgirl

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for posting about this. I remember hearing about it awhile ago and never saw that it was finished. What a great tribute to all those who lost their lifes and all those fighting for freedom now.

    Hugs,
    Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Connie! What a lovely tribute.
    Susie
    The Polka Dot Rose

    ReplyDelete
  9. I did not know this and I'm very touched. God bless 'em and God bless you for telling us about this.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow!
    what a powerful post Connie!
    thanks for highlighting all those interesting points.
    I have something for you on my blog check it out.
    smiles,
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Connie - thank you so much for sharing this. What a beautiful post and a very touching tribute. None of us will ever forget where we were on September 11th. The pictures and the history you've shared is just wonderful. Thank you so much for taking the time to share this.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a touching post Connie . It made me cry too . I didn't know they were building thid ship.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Really fantastic isn't it? Go Navy!

    I am so loving catching up with you sweet Connie.

    Now I am of to read more of the posts I missed! I missed you!

    Love,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just got this as an email about 3 days ago. It's definitely a reminder of that day and of our spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This gave me goosebumps!

    Bertie
    Aunt May's Cottage

    ReplyDelete
  16. Connie, don't know how I missed this. Thanks for sharing it's beautiful. Deb

    ReplyDelete

Comments are so nice and I thank all of you that leave one for me.